A purpose of using video multimedia is to transform a passive viewing experience into an active learning experience. This can be accomplished through "video tutorials".
Video tutorials are documents that:
- link to online videos that students watch
- inform the student of the purpose of viewing the video
- instruct the student to make observations and record information
- pose questions related to information presented in the video
- instruct the student to discuss questions with classroom peers, evaluate responses, and come to conclusions.
Written responses to video tutorials may be collected for formative assessment of student understanding, and iterative evaluation of video effectiveness for engagement and instruction.